Friday, August 25

Almost Weekly Update

Psalm 142
1With my voice I cry to the Lord; with my voice I make supplication to the Lord.
2I pour out my complaint before him; I tell my trouble before him.
3When my spirit is faint, you know my way. In the path where I walk
they have hidden a trap for me. 4Look on my right hand and see—
there is no one who takes notice of me; no refuge remains to me;
no one cares for me. I say, ‘You are my refuge,
my portion in the land of the living.’ 6Give heed to my cry,
for I am brought very low. Save me from my persecutors,
for they are too strong for me. 7Bring me out of prison,
so that I may give thanks to your name. The righteous will surround me,
for you will deal bountifully with me.

This Sunday we come to the end of our time in John 6. We have been talking about where our true sustenance comes from. John’s account makes very clear that it is From God, Jesus Christ. The above Psalm for this morning expresses the trust that John 6 should encourage in us. In our personal lives and in our life as a congregation we are constantly tempted to look to those things other than God, in Christ, for our life, for our sustenance, for our protection.
As we meet in our retreat this Saturday, as we seek a new Episcopal pastor as we seek out what God is calling us to as a congregation, may we truly trust God, and live faithfully. Doing so of course does not guarantee a life of ease, or a life without trouble, as the Psalms so beautifully remind us. But if we persevere, we are promised that God does not abandon us, though we may be tempted to abandon God. May we learn to not only hear the words of he Psalmist but may these words become our own.

Announcements-
Tomorrow August 26th is our half-day church retreat. We are meeting in the chapel beginning with coffee and tea and muffins or bagels. Prayer at 9:45 10 AM will begin the main session. Lunch will be provided.
Also tomorrow is a church BBQ Will, Chrissy, and Kristi are hosting. 6757 N Sheridan Rd., starting at 6:30PM. They do not have a working buzzer so enter through the beach entrance, which is located on the little side street, Rosemont, at the back of the building
We had failed to mention this before but all are welcome so bring your friends. It is potluck style so bring something to grill and a side dish to share.
Monday August 28th is our next church council meeting, at the Community of the Holy Trinity beginning at 7:30 PM. We will be discussing pastors’ contracts and election of church council members.
September 10 we will not be worshiping at the Immanuel but joining the Community Church of Wilmette as they install Tripp as pastor. Larry will be taking part in the service as well. The service is at 5 PM so earlier than our regular worship service. Members of Reconciler are meeting at Immanuel Lutheran Church at 4:15 PM to carpool.
Our next Bible study, to begin September 19th and will be an exploration of Acts and the Rule of St. Benedict. We will be meeting on Tuesday evenings, time and place to be announced.
In Christ,
Larry

No comments:

Post a Comment